Established in 1849, Fort Croghan was the third of the first four forts established by the United States government to protect settlements from hostile Indians.  From 1849 until its decommission in 1853 Fort Croghan was the home to Company C, 8th Infantry, U.S.A. (mounted) and eventually became the headquarters of the Second Dragoon Regiment.

Today's Fort Croghan is representative of those early days of what was to become Burnet, Texas.  Come and visit us.  See the sights and imagine the sounds of the frontier as you visit the blacksmith's shop, the one room school house, the powder house or the stage coach stop.  The museum offers over 1200 historic artifacts from in and around the Burnet County area.  Come visit the Texas frontier as it once was.  Come visit Fort Croghan.

Welcome to the History of the Texas Frontier. 

 

 

 

            

 
Fort Croghan Museum is a project of the Burnet County Heritage Society.  

 

 

Home
History of the Fort
The Grounds
Special Events
For Kids
Contact Us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer:  The Fort Croghan Museum and the Burnet County Historical Society are not responsible for the contents of linked pages.  Report problems with linked pages to the web master of those pages.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Report problems with this page to:

WebMaster@FortCroghan.org

 

 

 

©Burnet County Historical Society

[ Home ] History of the Fort ] The Grounds ] Special Events ] For Kids ] Contact Us ]