George Croghan was born in 1791 at the Locust Grove Farm in an area that later became part of Louisville, Kentucky. He died in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1849 of cholera.
He was a recipient of the Congressional Gold Medal.
His mother was Lucy Clark, a sister of Captain William Clark and General George Rogers Clark. His father was William Croghan of Dublin Ireland, who served in the Revolutionary War at the battles of Brandywine and Monmouth. His wife Serena Livingston was the granddaughter of Robert Livingston (1718-1775) of Clermont Manor, New York.
Croghan studied at the College of William and Mary; joining the U.S. Army after he graduated in 1810. He fought at the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811. He also served at Fort Meigs [now Perrysburg, Ohio] with distinction. For his actions to defend Fort Stephenson, Ohio during the War of 1812, he was promoted to the rank of Colonel. He later led a troop that was defeated in the Battle of Mackinac Island.
Following the war, he resigned from the army during a reduction of force and later served as postmaster in New Orleans. In 1825, he became one of the two inspector generals in the army. During the Mexican-American War, he fought as a colonel at Monterrey.
Colonel Croghan is buried at the site of Fort Stephenson, now Fremont, Ohio.
Fort Croghan in Burnet, Texas was named for him in 1849. Also, the village and town of Croghan, New York are named after him.
The buildings, including the hospital, officers' quarters, enlisted men's huts, commissary, adjutant's office, bakery and horse and mule lots with storage buildings, were all erected by the soldiers. In October 1849, Company C, 8th Infantry, U.S.A. (mounted) arrived to join in manning the fort. As soon as the fort was established, a town was begun on the east bank of Hamilton Creek and named "Hamilton" or as sometimes called, "Hamilton Valley." In 1852, the Legislature authorized the creation of Burnet County named in honor of David G. Burnet, first President of the Republic of Texas.
In the latter part of 1852, a second line of forts located to the west was begun. The first line was abandoned and the men were moved to the second line. Fort Croghan was finally abandoned in December 1853. The name of the town was changed to "Burnet" to correspond with the name of the county in 1858.
The Historical Society,
later renamed Burnet County Heritage Society, was formed in 1956.
The first officers were W. C. Galloway, Alta H. Gibbs, Mrs. Robert
Miller, and Miss Mittie Depew. Judge Thomas Ferguson drew up the
constitution and bylaws.
Throughout the formative years of the
Heritage Society, Judge Ferguson gave his time, expertise, and his
legacy to the group. The Society had the vision to act, often at
their own expense, to acquire and use the grounds of old Fort Croghan
to preserve artifacts and buildings of the past for Burnet's future
generations. They collected money by dues, memorial gifts, bake
sales, and rummage sales until they were able to buy 1.7 acres of the
old fort site.
Burnet County History, Vol I lists names of many of the women who helped make this vision a reality for us today.